International pop star OMI, hailing from Jamaica, has made his way to the U.S. forefront with international hit “Cheerleader (Felix Jaehn Remix)”. Currently #47 and climbing Billboard’s Hot 100 Chart and ascending the iTunes Pop chart here in the U.S. with double digit sales increases each week, the song has accumulated more than 200 million total Spotify streams, 100 million video plays, has nabbed the#1 spot on iTunes in 18 markets, and hit #1 on the worldwide Shazam charts. Check out both the new video for the song and a behind-the-scenes look at the making of it below.
“Cheerleader” (Felix Jaehn Remix)
Ultra Music/Columbia Records
Recently the song was chosen by NY Daily News as the lead pick for ‘The Song of Summer 2015,’ was named the ‘2015 Song of the Summer Dark Horse’ by Billboard, included in Complex’s ’10 Dope Songs You Should Be Hearing Everywhere Soon’,FADER‘s 15 Options for The Song of Summer, and was also dubbed as Billboard’s Next No.1 Hit according to Shazam. One of the most reactionary songs at radio, the song is now on over 150 reporting stations, garnering 62 million in cumulative radio audience and achieving the highest debut on the Pop, Rhythm and Dance airplay charts this week! In the UK, the track has garnered a platinum certification after only 1 month of release, and currently holds the #1 spot on the official UK Singles Chart for the third week in a row.
“Cheerleader” has gained OMI many fans, including superstars Meghan Trainor and Rebel Wilson. Trainor referred to the song as her “new favorite jam,” and even posted an Instagram video of the song. Wilson sang a bit of the hit song at a recent press junket for Pitch Perfect 2 when asked her favorite song of the moment. Simon Cowell also was captured “singing” the song during an interview with Capital FM last month. Over 250,000 fans have posted videos of themselves lip-synching to the song on social media via the Dubsmash app, and OMI also invites fans to take the #MyCheerleader challenge by uploading a video to Vine, Instagram or YouTube of them singing or dancing to “Cheerleader”. Take the challenge HERE!
OMI recently shared his Spotify ‘Top Picks’ Playlist – check it out HERE!
- US Spotify streams approach 2 Million weekly plays consistently, with 1.99 Million this week
- Track has been added to Today’s Top Hits (#1 playlist)
- Jumped 11 spots up this week to #25 on Spotify’s Top Tracks
- The song has broken streaming records in France, Germany and Holland
- Video added to MTV,MTV Hits, mtvU, Vh1 Soul, Fuse and Music Choice
- Hit #1 on the worldwide Shazam chart
- Climbed into the Top 10 U.S. Shazam tags
- Soared to #1 on Hype Machine
- Hit #1 on iTunes in 18 markets
- Reached Top 5 on iTunes Dance chart
- Hit #1 on the Official Singles Charts in UK, Switzerland, Australia, Austria, Germany, The Netherlands, France, Italy and Sweden, where it remained at the top of the chart for nine consecutive weeks
- Gold certification in Germany, Italy, Switzerland and Norway
- Platinum certification in UK, Denmark, Australia (3X) and Sweden (5X)
“Cheerleader” was originally released in 2012, taking off in Jamaica and Hawaii first. In 2014, a cleverly understated reworking of the track produced by Clifton ‘Specialist’ Dillon and remixed by Felix Jaehn infused the track with its tropical house sound and helped power the momentum that has made the song a global phenomenon.